Thursday, 23 January 2014

Object-Oriented Programming

Object-oriented programming is all about making large, complex programs out of modular self-contained objects that contain both data and operations. I am familiar with the concept and was taught to work in Java following the model, but I'm kinda awful at it because I will copy and paste dozens of lines of code over again in one single mother-function when no one is looking. Which is exactly what I did for a side-project I submitted earlier this evening that was created in a language that's meant for object-oriented practices. Whoops.

Looking back on the mess that was, I'm kinda thankful that there will be some encouragement towards object-oriented programming and similar kosher practices. Faced with an uneven ugly, minimally commented text tower that feels like it could break down at any wrong-placed modification or misused find+replace, I think some pretty, self-contained objects will be a welcome addition to my life.

PS: I'm sort of assuming that what's expected here is more personal ramblings than a concise regurgitation of the course material because the avenue for this assignment/semester-long-learning-quest is supposed to be a blog. As well as the fact that something clinical and generic that could easily be copied from another website can't be illuminating for either the writer or the reader. If not, the ramble about what a bad programmer I am submitted above is on the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment